Grant Erwin

gtslabs wrote:

I finally got my 15 hp phase converter working today using capacitors
and a momentary push button. I plan on using it with a 10 hp 3 phase
air compressor. However just at idle it is pulling 20 amps. I figure
I can use an additional pressure switch to have the converter turn on
before the compressor does. But what do I need to have it turn off
after the compressor cycles off?

How are you measuring this current? Be aware that there are two kinds of current
- real and imaginary - and you pay for the former but not the latter. You may
well be able to cut that apparent power down by a factor of 4 or 5 using some
run caps between L1 and L2. Your converter looks very inductive, if you put some
capacitance across it it may look more resistive.

Sorry for the EE terminology, I don't know any better.

Grant