On 18 Jul 2005 08:07:30 -0700, "jtpr" wrote:

I want to make a vase out of a piece of stone (don't know what kind,
found it at the beach). So I want to drill a hole in it for a few
flowers, and cut the bottom flat. This is not a big stone, something
to go on a desk with maybe 3 flowers in it.

Anyway, what blade should I use on my table saw and what bit in my
drill press? Also what unusual safty problems might I encounter?

-Jim

don't cut it on your tablesaw unless you consider the saw to be a
disposable.

a good stout brick saw is the minimum machine to saw it with. know
someone with one who might do it for you? else the saw can be rented.

buy a diamond core drill. set it up so the stone is solidly mounted in
the drill press- like glue the flat face down with hot glue. set up
dams or work in a tray and lubricate the drill with a steady stream of
water. a liter soda bottle hanging above the press with a bit of
surgical tubing routed to the stone has worked well for me. use a very
light touch, just barely kissing the stone with the core drill and
lifting up to flush the cut clean. pressure will eat the core drill
and not make the hole go faster. a tip- adjust the quill balance
spring so the quill with the bit in it is just at neutral weight.
you're going to be standing there for an hour or so cycling the handle
up and down and otherwise your shoulder will get mighty tired.
DAMHIKT.