Brad

Default Experience with Cast Iron wheels vs Cast Aluminum

I am looking to get a bandsaw for my wood shop. I do woodworking for a
hobby, but would like to be able to resaw up to 12" thick wood.
For the number of times I will need to do this, I don't think I need a
2HP or other industrial strength bandsaw.

I have done some searching of reviews and news groups and see that
people recommend cast iron wheels over cast aluminum. Does anyone out
there have experience with both to give some good reasoning for the
choice ? I know the weight of the cast iron helps reduce the vibration,
but would like some specific comparison like "my saw with alum wheels
vibrated a lot on this 10 inch piece of oak, but my saw with cast iron
went thru it like butter."

I am leaning toward the Grizzly G0555 and also the 6" riser kit. Since
this is a 1 HP saw, I know I wouldn't have much luck resawing a 12"
piece of hardwood, but I'm ok with that.

Price isn't much of a concern, unless the saw is over $1,000. Since I
will use this in my spare time, I can't justify spending that much on
the saw.