carl mciver

"Joatman71" wrote in message
ups.com...
| I want to make a dome (1/2 sphere) that is made up of 10 metal
| "triangular" sections. It will not be a true 1/2 sphere. Each
| metal section will be bent in only one direction and will be straight
| in the other. The base and each horizontal cross section will be a
| Decagon (10 equal sides). Each vertical cross section will be some
| sort of a 1/2 circle. I am trying to figure out how to make the 10
| "triangles" so that the sides will touch when bent.
|
| If I take 10 isosceles triangles and arrange them so their bases form a
| Decagon then bend the points in to touch each it will form a dome, but
| the triangles will not touch along their sides, only at the base and
| the top. The sides of each triangle need to be curved out. Is there
| any way to make this proper curve without trial and error? How is it
| best done using trial and error?
|
| Thanks
| Scott

This is actually a mathematical question. Not saying the folks here
can't help you, but the math groups for sure can. There are a number of web
sites, some even which have small programs to go with different shapes. I
remember starting with "dome home" and going from there to find about all
the shapes and the math to get there. I think for your project, a shape
more like a soccer ball, with a mix of five and three sided figures will
work best. I forgot the exact name, something like truncated isodecahedron
or something.