Mike Dodd wrote:
Velvet wrote:

I'm due to complete on said house this friday :-)

nice one.

Finally I'm joining the ranks of homeowners, and thus able to DIY in my
own house without having to hold back due to tenancy agreements!

Find the quickest route to the A&E department

lol

I'll go read the FAQ once I'm and have net access again, but in the
mean time, what would people suggest (if it's not in the FAQ) as
essential toolkit for those emergency repair situations? I'm thinking
electrical/plumbing/drains - anything else that might not have occurred
though...

I have some of the basics (reasonable hammer drill, spanners,
adjustable spanner of some size or other, hammer etc, but probably not
a lot more than that - screwdrivers but generally the sort more used in
IT (pc sized to suitable for racking kit in comms rooms).

sounds like youre a bit lacking there. A cordless drill/driver saves a
whole lotta effort. If you work out how much labour they save, and what
thats worth, even an expensive codless is a decent deal. Avoid junk
stuff, though even that is much better than nothing.

For more power, get a hex bit holder that goes in the mains drill. Also
a set of hex shank drill bits, makes life quicker for the lighter duty
drilling. And of course drill bits, rawl type plugs and a box of mixed
woodscrews (crosshead, avoid slot head).

Tools are so cheap now you can wonder down to poundland with =A350 and
get one of everything you think you might need. Youll come away with
=A3150 worth of reasonably decent tools, plus 20% of junk, and save
endless trips back into town.

Also I'd get screwfix and toolstation catalogues.

If you list what needs sorting we could advise further. If much needs
doing I'd get at least a budget circ saw (not a codless) and a ladder.
DIY the ladder of course.

For drains, some caustic soda and washing soda are good, plus eye
goggles.

Tesco limescale removing bog cleaner is multiuseful - though a bit
vicious, it contains HCl.

Oh, and a question straight off the bat:

I want to route coax up from the livingroom (front room) to the front
bedroom. And telephone and Cat5 cable from livingroom to back bedroom.

What's the best way to do this - coax up the internal

Without seeing it, who knows... I cant even begin to visualise it.

If its practical to put some kind of trunking in, that sure makes
cabling upgrade a whole lot easier in future.

Crack is of little/no concern, it seems, though will be keeping eye on it.

bad neighbourhood?

But I wanted to say thanks to those who gave me some sound advice, and
blow raspberries at those who said don't touch it with a bargepole

haha. Good to succeed isnt it?

I'm getting a bigger house in a quieter road with a much bigger garden
than I ever expected to be able to.

As it is, I have 6 months to get the damp/woodworm sorted

Its walletworm you gotta watch out for. That does the most damage.

G'luck,

NT