Emmo

I live in Austin, the home of Bat Conservation Intl and the largest urban
bat colony in the world. What I have been told is that the key to
successfully getting bats to move into your bat house is to hang more than
one of them, facing different directions, at different heights, in different
locations. The issue is that bats are very choosy about the temperature of
their homes, so you have to experiment until you find the location with the
best temperature. Once they have picked one, you can move the other houses
nearby. It is not only the actual temperature, but also the way the
temperature changes over the day and evening that matters to them...

This may seem fussy, but the benefit of having bats is huge - they eat a ton
of bugs...

More info on the bathouse page under the projects tab at
http://www.batcon.org/

America needs more bats!

"Rex B" wrote in message

jok18 wrote:
A world with no skeeters...I can't imagine!
I have looked into building bat houses, only to do some research and
find that some group had built them with absolutely no takers.
I see bats from time to time in other parts of town, but they must not
like the menu offered in my yard as I haven't seen them here.
Has anyone tried the device called mosquito deleto?
Those mosquito magnet type devices are SO expensive and the reviews
show at best a mixed result. That's why I thought the fog might be
worth a try! Maybe I should ask what HAVE y'all done that worked?

In North Texas, Fort Worth: I bought a used Mosquito Magnet Pro last
year. It has run since early Spring this year. I believe it reduces the
local population by about half, and we still have to deal with the
remained. Is it worth it? I think so. I can use one of those
screw-the-bottle-on the-hose skeeter sprays and have a couple of evenings
on the deck. Without the MM, it was only good for one evening at best
after spraying.