john

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message

"P.R.Brady" wrote in message
Peter Hucker wrote:
Whenever I use these blasted things, whatever I've hung up ends up
falling down, pulling with it half a tonne of plaster. TIPS PLEASE!

I always find Plasplugs good, everything else is a disaster.

Agreed, they always seem to work where others have failed. The only
other thing I used to like was Philplug. You drilled the hole, put a
chunk of this white fluffy stuff in the palm of your hand, wetted it
(uncouth types like me spat on it), mixed and rolled it into a cigar
shape then stuffed it into the hole using the tool provided which also had
a point at the other end to make a pilot hole. Followed up with the
screw and it always held beautifully. I haven't seen it for years, I
believe there was some asbestos in the mix which got it banned, although I
would have thought that some other ingredient could have been found.

--
Keith Willcocks

I think that the old fashioned wood screws were better as they were more
tapered than the new super efficient ones. The new ones tend to cut a thread
into the plug - the old screws used to force the plug apart to make it
tighter.

Any observations on this theory?