Stuart Noble

Stuart Noble wrote:

wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Can sash windows ever be made completely air-tight.
I live in an old building with very non-air-tight large sash windows,
and have fitted secondary glazing.
But I have often wondered if I could replace or renovate the sash windows
in such a way that the heat loss through them is negligible?

fairly straightforward job. Remove the sliding sashes (remove beading
and lift out), route a groove around 3 sides, and slot suitable brush
type draught excluder into the slot. Refit windows. You'll want to
repaint after doing this.

This stops any rattles too.

All very well except the groove that takes the rope is roughly as deep
as the parting bead so on most sashes you couldn't groove anything
deeper than 2 or 3 mm into the face. A thin metal plate with the brush
mounted on one edge, screwed to the edge of the sash and covering the
rope groove, might work.
I prefer to use a bit of folded cardboard if it gets windy, and call it
ventilation, breathing or whatever.

the groove goes in the side, not the face. Its the standard way to do
them.

NT

But there's not much room for a groove in the edge. I'm looking at one
now where you have about 3/8" either side of the rope groove, so max
brush holder width could only be 1/8". Don't know why the rope has so
wide a groove, but it seems to be standard in those I've had dealings with.