Adam Smith

I had a chat with Clausing Service Center a bit earlier, and the nut is
currently $48.40, the screw and nut assembly is $266.20. I'm now chewing on
what I'm going to do, but I did want to correct my post in an earlier thread
stating that the parts were unavailable. I must have been thinking about
another parts inquiry, there doesn't seem to be any problem getting these
(other than the price that is). $325 Canadian, ... gulp.

BTW, my concern is not so much backlash, as indeterminancy in how much I'm
advancing the tool when working to a set figure. I hate wanting to take 10
thou, dialing 10 thou, and getting 7 thou off. Tricky in some materials
getting that last 3 thou off without enough there to give the tool something
to chew on.

Thanks once again, both, for the prompt answers.

Adam Smith
Midland ON

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
If you are talking about replacing the nut, I did that myself a couple of
years ago. The nut was around $50 as I recall. Unfortunately it made
only a modest improvement in the backlash so it looks like I'll need
another screw as well. Those run around $250, though so I'll live with
the backlash for now.

DoN. had good advice on not tightening the set screw until the cross slide
screw is installed and the cross slide is moved toward the operator as far
as possible. Besides adjusting the nut for the right height, it also
ensures that it is algned along the axis of the screw.

The replacement nut has a ball oiler on the top to permit lubrication of
the cross slide screw, something that my original lacked and that would
have made it hard to lube the screw, which may partially explain the wear
on my cross slide screw. I'm sure that the 30+ years of service the lathe
saw before it came to me also took its toll.

Mike

"Adam Smith" wrote in message
.. .
I misspoke myself (miswrote myself?) on the model number. The lathe is a
5914.

Thanks Mike, Don, exactly what I was looking for. I guess I needed to
look a little harder at the saddle. I'm going to look into part
availability today.

Regards,

Adam Smith,
Midland ON

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Henry wrote:

"Adam Smith" wrote in message

I'm looking at how the bronze cross slide nut is assembled into the
saddle, and it isn't obvious. Is this a press fit? Is there some form
of
retainer? Any body know the correct procedure for disassembly? (I
already
have the saddle off the lathe, the cross feed screw pulled from the
saddle.) I figure one of the 1500 series owners here has already done
this.

[ ... ]

I don't know about the 1500-series lathes, but on the Clausing
5900-series,
the cross slide nut is retained in the saddle with a flat point set
screw
with the tapped hole on the HS side of the saddle.

The same is true with the Clausing 5400 series, which is what I
have.

When you put it back (or its replacement), you should leave the
setscrew loose until you have the crossfeed leadscrew cranked to pull
the nut as far towards the crank handle as possible. This will ensure
that the nut is at the right height, so it won't bind in service.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564