TURTLE

"Pop" wrote in message
news

"TURTLE" wrote in message
.. .

"Ryan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Help!

We have an older home and an air conditioner plugged into an outlet in
our master bedroom. Same one we've used for a few years.

Today, I just happened to be cleaning the room and noticed what looked
like flashes of light behind the outlet cover. I thought it was from
the window and as I got closer I noticed it seemed to be SPARKS inside
the outlet box! The plastic cover is also warm, but not too warm to
touch.

This is obviously not good! I turn off the air conditioner and it
stops. I turn it on and after a few minutes this flashes start again.

We have had this air conditioner runnings for months, even when not
home. I can't believe this is a safe thing, but have no idea why it's
happened, know nothing about electricity and have no idea why the
circuit breaker for that room would not turn off if this was happening.

Of course, I discover this on a Sunday when electricians are not
available and it's 90 degrees out. This can't happen during the week or
on a cooler day.

Am I overreacting to think I need to shut this thing down? I am just
wondering how long this has been going on.

This is Turtle.

What you have is a loose Plug and receptical. Replace the Plug and the
receptical and cure the problem. now just changing one will not cure it but
prolong it from coming back again but soon it will mess up again.

TURTLE

WHAT did you say, Turt?

Sorry;you must have had one too many when you wrote that.

And yeah, all the responses have been on target, OP. Hope it's taken care of
by now.

Pop

This is Turtle.

I see you did not read too closely here by I saying to change both plug and
receptical which nobody including yourself said that. I know for a fact if you
don't change both, you will come back to work on it again. Please read before
correcting people. And yes i can't spell too well without a dictionary.

TURTLE