Andy Hall

Default Domestic steam cleaners?

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:45:49 +0100, Andrew McKay
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:33:03 +0100, derek
wrote:

Women like them because you can freshen up fabrics like curtains and
carpets, but to my mind they just leave them slightly damp making the
colours more contrasty, when they dry out, it's back to square one.

Always makes me smile when I switch thru an advertising channel on
Sky, and they are doing one of these steam cleaners as a special deal.

Invariably they show this lovely steam cleaner removing the solid bake
on an oven door or around the gas hob. Like that stuff got there at
several hundred degrees C, and the steam is vapourising it at 100
degrees C.

Ah, the bliss of a marketing consultant. I'm just surprised they
aren't telling me it'll improve my pecs

It well might :-)

I would generally agree that on the small hand held machines that the
performance is limited, and probably the temperature.

The larger machines produce steam at over 130 degrees and will
certainly remove baked on grease on a hob. More to the point, we tend
to use ours most days on the hob which prevents any significant build
up in the first place.

I've used ours on the inside of the AGA oven doors (aluminium) of the
hotter ovens and this easily cleans off what little deposit is there.

I don't consider that cleaning the range is a pleasurable job at any
time, but this is quick and ready to go and does not require the use
of caustic or abrasive chemicals.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl