Jim Adney

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:23:43 -0500 "RB"
wrote:

Thanks for the response. I believe I hear the following for the 220v stuff
(and I'm not talking code here, but practicality} :

1. The neutral is considered a ground return, in relation to the two hot
220v legs.

Better to call it a "current return" to avoid confusion with ground.

2. The neutral may in fact be connected to earth ground at some point along
its way.

In the US, it ALWAYS is, or should be if the code is followed.

3. The 4th wire used in some setups is somewhat redundant, as it could also
be incorporated in with the neutral, thereby eliminating the need for the
4th wire

Redundant in the sense that the 2 are at the same voltage. The
redundancy is for safety, however, so that the safety ground wire can
never actually get a voltage on it.

4. Where a 4th wire is used on a 220v setup, that wire is simply a ground
continuity thing for safety purposes.

Yes, as in # 3.

-
Jim Adney