NSM

"Gary Walker" wrote in message

Further research on this seems to indicate that the muting
function is stuck on. Even after disconnecting the rc cable
from the amp(one rc cable connects the tuner to the amp,
and the other rc cable connects the tape to the CD), the
amp continues to initialize in mute mode. It appears that
this is probably the problem, but I'll be damned if I know
how to correct it. Perhaps, I'll either have it looked at,
or contact Onkyo for assistance(unlikely they'll bother
with equipment this old).

That'll do it. Until you can un mute it you will have no sound.

As for the linking or jumping plugs, this model probably doesn't have them
but if you look at the bottom right diagram on page 4 of the A-RV401 manual
on a model that _WAS_ designed this way the equalizer jacks would be
permanently connected in to out, left to left and right to right with very
short cables. Removing these without connecting an equalizer would also cut
the sound.