Larry Jaques

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:28:37 +0100, the opaque Andy Dingley
clearly wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:27:09 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Properly used, a heat gun used to strip paint won't heat the
paint enough to make too much smoke, let alone cause hardened paint to
LIQUIFY!

Of course it can liquify - it depends on how old the paint was, and what
it was made from.

Semantics: Can't vs. shouldn't. Improperly used, a heat gun will set
just about anything on fire.

What types of paint were you thinking about when you wrote that, Andy?
I've used a heat gun (1000°F+) on all sorts of paint and none has
liquified yet. Both oil-based and latex paints here generally go from
hard to soft to flaming, with no liquid state that I've noticed. I
practiced on both oil and latex the day I got the gun, learning the
smoke point and how to stay below it.

Are some of your Brit paints are different?

- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me:
"Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed."
-
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design