Jim B

Default Help with adjustable reamer

Although I'm a novice to metalworking I recently decided to build a
project out of aluminum and bought a set of inexpensive adjustable
reamers when I found that I couldn't drill a hole accurate enough for
my needs.

I've never used one of these reamers or even seen someone else use one.
I found some good information and instruction in this group and
elsewhere on the net but I've been unable to find the answer to one
very basic question - Which way do you turn the reamer? Clockwise or
counter-clockwise.

What little I've found concerns chucking reamers and seems to indicate
that they turn in a clockwise direction. When I try this with the hand
reamer it chews into the work and I can't keep it straight.

On the other hand, if I turn it counter-clockwise, it stays straight
but it's very slow and I have to use alot of downward pressure on it to
get it to work. If I was working with steel I don't know if it would
work at all.

I guess counter-clockwise is correct but I'd sure like someone that
knows to confirm this for me.

Thanks,

Jim