Gary Walker

"NSM" wrote in message
news:ddyCe.157817$on1.59565@clgrps13...

"Gary Walker" wrote in message

Unfortunately, I don't fully understand "linking plugs",
and never really have fully understood "preamp" vs.
"power amp". But, I can say this:

On the back there may be some connectors labelled Out and In which need to
be connected together to make the system work. Can you post a picture of

the
back somewhere (not in this group please)?

Well yeah, I'm aware of the component plugs on the rear.
I'd just never heard them referred to as linking plugs.

Come to think of it, I'd never really known their true
description other than RCAplug/Miniplug etc.

With regard to a picture of the rear, no I don't have one,
and I have no scanner with which to record the diagram
in the hardcopy I do have.

However, I've managed to locate:
http://onkyousa.com/own_manuals.cfm?cat=Receiver
which shows the A-RV401 instruction manual. Although
it doesn't seem an exact copy of the hardcopy I have, it
does have some documentation. But, unlike my hardcopy,
I didn't see a simple back panel schematic as is shown in
my hardcopy. Perhaps, I just overlooked it.

The diagnostic section occurs on pp.15.

But....

I did overlook/fail to think about/stupidly ignore the diag-
nostic section(aka troubleshooting) in either copy. Using
the hardcopy manual, and following the procedures for
"power but no sound", I see:

Tape monitor on - No, but I do now recall having prob-
lems with this in the past when I'd press the wrong butt-
on in the dark. Pressing tape2 switches to tape2 input,
but merely pressing tuner will not return to tuner, but
shows T2 monitor. Another press of tape2 releases the
T2 monitor, and returns the faint signal.

Bad connections - Possible, but since I've reset all conn-
ections, and I can get the faint audio from all sources(
tuner, CD) available, this possibility seems very unlikely.

Amplifier protection circuitry has been activated - I have
no clue. The response here is to contact the service cen-
ter.

In the online troubleshooting guide, a muting button is
described. My unit has no mute button, or I just can't
seem to find it. It does have a standby button, and that
will disable sound, but it is correctly positioned. Perhaps
this standby is synonymous with muting?

Although the online manual indicates that "protect" will
be shown if the protective circuitry activation has occ-
urred, my hardcopy manual make no mention of this. I
assume I have no protect designation.

I did just returned from a closer unit inspection. In the amp view window,
where the input source is shown, I do see a "very" small muting word. Review
of the online manual pp. 11 describes muting as activated via the remote
unit. Well, although I have had the remote connected(I guess it's a remote
receiver, because the remote is wireless), not only have I never used the
remote, I'm not really sure even where it is. The text suggests that the
only way to de-mute is via the remote, or a cycle of the amp's power. I can
certainly say that a power cycle on the amp has no effect on this.

Further research on this seems to indicate that the muting
function is stuck on. Even after disconnecting the rc cable
from the amp(one rc cable connects the tuner to the amp,
and the other rc cable connects the tape to the CD), the
amp continues to initialize in mute mode. It appears that
this is probably the problem, but I'll be damned if I know
how to correct it. Perhaps, I'll either have it looked at,
or contact Onkyo for assistance(unlikely they'll bother
with equipment this old).

Sorry, for the verbosity....

Thanks,

Gary