CJT

Jim Adney wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:06:05 GMT "Gary" wrote:

I have an Onkyo home audio component system. The
amplifier in this system(Onkyo A-RV401) has flamed
out, as least I'm pretty sure it's the amplifier.

The system no longer produces any sound, no tuner,
tape, CD, headphones, nothing. However, I can crank
up the volume to full, and faintly hear the audio. As
usual, this worked fine one day, and failed the next.

It appears that this component can be replaced with
something like, for around $400-600. It also appears
that current models have the tuner/amplifier integrated
into a single unit, where the existing unit(s) are separate.

Separate units like yours are generally easier to fix than integrated
units, so this helps. I don't know anything about your model, but my
first inclination would be to see if it can be fixed. These items
generally are fixable and for much less money than the replacement
cost you mention.

The fact that both channels both seem to have died at the same time
makes this seem like it might be a simple problem.

That's a good point. It suggests some problem with a section that's
common to both channels -- like a power supply.

It might pay to get
your friend over there just to check out the system and the switch
settings (like the tape monitor that Mark mentioned.)

I agree completely with your other posts that it would all depend on
finding someone you think you can trust to take a look at it.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA