Chris F.

What I can't understand is, why people junk well-built appliances in favor
of new cheapies. They just don't seem to realize, or care, that they're
buying a piece of junk. And at the same time, they're also putting good
hard-working folks like us out of business. Not to mention filling up the
landfills, and hurting the economy. I believe that man is one of the most
foolish creatures on earth, and that this is just another in a long list of
examples.
I have a 1983 Panasonic console TV sitting behind me, and it's built
better than anything on the market today. The chassis has only had minor
repairs and the CRT is still like new - good luck getting performance like
that from a $79 Durabrand!
People just simply don't appreciate quality anymore. Really, people don't
appreciate much anything these days. We live in a society filled with
spoiled, ungrateful, and gullible morons who simply don't know what's good
for them.
I plan to stuff most of my old sets into a corner of a storage building
and wait a few more months before pulling the plug. If people continue to
trash quality items to make way for junk, then they will only get what they
deserve, and I won't be a bit sympathetic.
I just wish I'd been born 50 years ago, when I could have made a nice
living in this profession.

"Larry P" wrote in message
Hi Chris

I grew up with the same curiosity in all things electronic and electric.

As
a little child ( maybe 5 or 6), I also took apart anything that ran on
electric to see how it worked and somtimes I fixed a few of those things.

I then went all the way to a full college degree in Electrical

Engineering.
Today I see the Consumer Industry moving away from the old technology to
quickly designed, more disposable items. I do like the feel and quality of
my cheap VCR for $56. If it breaks I would toss it at that price. I could
replace the Mode switches in all the Old VCR's I have held on to but my

time
and effort doesnt warrant it anymore. My time is worth more then the few
dollars I could sell the items for.
I really dont think a philosophical arguement applies here about the

world
going the way of the cheap- throw- away society. The Electronic Industry

is
just one more thing that got caught up in the "toss-it, its broke" way of
thinking. You like me just hate to throw good things out. I would suggest
donating them to some church or society and they can sell them at their

next
rummage sale or fair. You would have done a great service for that group

and
possibly a Tax write-off

Good luck and I suggest like someone else stated here, that maybe you

could
venture into the higher priced items, whereas the people arent so easy to
toss out a $2000 Projection TV or a well made Tube Guitar Amp.

Larry