Dave in Fairfax

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
But there is such a thing and that is why he is asking.
There is no one optimal "one height fits all", but there surely is an
optimal ergonomical height for everyone. The question is how do you
determine what that height is. Should be bench be x inches below the elbow?
Should it be x inches above the waist? Should the top overhand the support
by 6" or should it be flush? If hand planing a board, what height do you
like it in relationship to bending your back? What happens if it is too
high or two low?

The OP definitely needs to read "The Workbench Book". The fitting of
bench to person is discussed fairly thoroughly as well as how it relates
to hand vs power tool use on the bench. rule of thumb is the height of
your palm held parallel to the ground at your side. I personally find
that way too low. I like a bench that is just under elbow high.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net