Sacramento Dave

"KOS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am attempting to connect a new ceiling fan to an older house.
There was a ceiling fan here but it isnt working. The fan that I will
install has no light.

As the wires are very old its hard to tell which is white and which is
red.

Is there a test that I can do to tell which is which? red or black?
Thanks

You could wire a plug on it and test it with a plug in circuit tester.I
don't know what the actual name of tester is. Plugs into an outlet has two
yellow lights one red light . By how the light you know if your plug is
correct. Test for Open Ground, open neutral, open hot, hot/ground reverse,
hot/neutral reveres and correct. Handy little tool. You can also try and
clean the wires with Koof off or something like that. The wires get
overspray on the when the ceiling is painted .