Leuf

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:58:34 GMT, "Chris Jung"
wrote:

I'm curious about the typical height of workbenches and the whole
ergonomics of woodworking. I find that I tend to hunch over my work and as a
result get sore at the base of my neck/shoulders. It worse with sanding as
it's my least favorite activity and I tend to bear down to get it over with
as soon as possible. I'm toying with getting a dremel detail sander and/or a
drill press with a sanding drum to see if that would help. My other thought
is to possibly raise the work surface so that it's higher (perhaps make long
bench with one part taller than normal?). I've noticed that I never get
neck/shoulder pain when using my bandsaw. I think it's because the work
surface there is higher and I'm able to look closely at my work without
hunkering over so much.

Does anyone else get neck/upper back pain from wood working? Any suggestions
for optimal working ergonomics?

One of the woodworking mags a while back showed basically a mini
workbench that you could clamp to the top of the bench to raise it up.
My neck bothers me when using chisels on my bench for extended
periods, so I've been thinking about doing this. The problem with
actually building a raised portion into the bench is sometimes you'll
work on things that are bigger than the bench and it'll be in the way.
Getting the entire bench to raised up easily and yet still be sturdy
enough would be a challenge.

-Leuf