Odinn

On 7/14/2005 1:41 PM Charlie Self mumbled something about the following:

Swingman wrote:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I'm basically just curious as to whether or not ebay itself has any
kind of active program against this sort of activity. It sure isn't
effective, if they do.

Since it's third parties who are doing the spamming/phishing, eBay has no
control whatsoever over it.

Just imagine, if you will, what it's like if you run a mail server or two
... all this crap goes to _every_ e-mail address on the servers. It's past
the point where a small company can afford the bandwidth/cpu cycles to keep
up with it.

Another interesting thing is to take a look at just one day of a server's
logs ... there's a war going on that you never hear about, mostly emanating
from the Pacific Rim/China and the old Eastern Bloc countries.

I'd gladly supply the rope to hang a few of these idiots in the public
square if you can catch'em.

Seems to me that there should be some kind of internaitonal cooperation
on catching, and punishing, these people. I don't see anyone who is
very bright falling for their cons, but the damned things are super
annoying, almost as annoying as the new variants on the Nigerian scam.

Ebay and Paypal (who is owned by Ebay) have a team that investigates
these fraudulent sites, but only if they're alerted to them. Since very
few people forward these emails to Ebay and Paypal, they are unaware
that a new fraud site has shown up. When you get one of these, forward
the email, headers and all to

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ...
http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic