Pete Keillor

On 16 Jul 2005 22:42:36 -0700, "TrailRat"
wrote:

I'm looking to get some "dust caps" made for the sockets on my car.
These sockets are on the roof posts and are for the bolts to the roof
bars. There are 4 on each side. 2 on the A post and 2 on the B post.
The plastic ones have become very brittle and a majority have become
damaged or lost. I was hoping to get replacements made from metal
(aluminum) but have been told that I'm looking at a very hefty figure
of £500. I lack the skill and equipment to do this myself and was
wondering anyone would mind telling me wether this was a reasonable
sum. Each "dust cap" would be about 10-15mm long. The head would have
to be at least 10mm across and 2mm thick. It would also require a torx
or allen key slot to be cut in the top. So am I being reasonable or
could this be about right.

Many Thanks

Oh and here are pictures of the sockets in question

TrailRat

Why not just buy some button head cap screws? Maybe you could find
them in stainless, and put some antiseize and a small o-ring on before
inserting. 500 pounds is nuts. Look at these.

http://www.mjvail.com/holokrome/dd_bhcs_metric.html

Pete Keillor