Apropos

Sounds like some properly installed hurricane straps would be the BEST way to
go.

In lieu of such a proper repair job, I'd trust the wire ropes more than
anything. If roof-destroying winds WOULD have ripped the roof off, there's no
way to avoid SOME kind of damage anyway.

Anything, however, sounds better than using ropes which might SHRINK, which
could damage the roof even if the high winds don't strike. At least with ropes
that stretch, the roof may get skewed, but at least it won't wind up in the next
county and you'll still have SOMETHING keeping the rain out until proper repairs
can be made.

In FL the biggest damage in my area came from Hurricane Frances, which caused
extreme water damage to homes whose roofs had been damaged by Charley and not
repaired yet.