Joseph Meehan

69strat wrote:
We had a house built three years ago. Never had a problem with water
in the basement...until today. Lots of water down there. We did get
a massive 3" of rain in only a few hours, and the power went out for a
bit so the sump pump couldn't work. This has happened before and
there wasn't any problem. Also none of my neighbors had any flooding
problems and their power was out as well.

Recently builders have dug up the land right beside us as a new
development is going in. Sewers are getting installed. This is the
first big rain since they dug everything up. I'm worried they may
have broken a pipe or done something to cause water to back up into my
basement.

I didn't see any water around the outside of the house. I don't
really know how a sump pump works or how the water gets in there.
But I need to figure this out. I'd appreciate any ideas or input on
this. thank you.

If the sump pump is working it should be pumping anytime there is water
in the basement. Does it come on at all now? I suspect it is dead and
needs replaced. You may want to consider backup plans as well. You seem to
have power outage issues so a pump not dependent on the local power grid
would be advisable. There are pumps that work on water pressure and water
is usually available even during storms, unless you are on a well system.
There are also battery backup, but I don't have a lot of faith in them as
you would need a huge battery to supply enough power to handle any serious
power outage and water problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit