Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Nope, my mum used to be though. I Dabbled in home brewing a few years
back.

Citric acid isn't used for sterilising but to balance flavours. Sometimes
malic acid is used and sometime tannic. Sometimes a combination.

You can use citric as an acidity adjuster in the wine itself (which is
what you describe),

Why are you repeating it then?

however it also works in solution with Sodium Metabisufate as a sterilsing
solution.

It's not necessary.

The sodium metabisulfate solution evolves a gas (sulphur dioxide) which
sterilises on contact. The addition of citric acid helps speed up the
reaction IIUC.

There's no point. Wine-making,as in breadmaking and lots of other processes
(if you want to make a good product) can't be hurried.

Mary