jango2

As a child in the 1980's, I was always fascinated with anything that
ran
on electricity.
Also, keep up with the newe technology...DLP are easy to
service/repair with the right training material(I can probably email
you some good material)....LCD and Plasma as well...consider that
these units mostly are repaired by repalcing boards/modules and then
configuring them to the units, almost like computers

You're not alone Chris ,i could'nt have expressed the woes of this
trade better.
I stopped accepting tv's , dvd's and any other cheap electronic
appliances for repair. My blood boils when someone tells me they got a
great deal on a cheap chinese appliance. Hah , damn thing just looks
like its supposed to work , they conk within 3 months , open it and
you'll see ic and transistor no.s erased. Do they offer to replace or
provide tech support? no !
So i thought i'd focus on dlp's and higher end stuff. Problem is
they're so tough to repair especially when there's no support available
from the manufacturers. Any technical querries sent to them are either
ignored or simply responded to with "take the unit to an authorised XXX
service centre. Try finding out which 3 buttons to press to reset the
lamp timer of a dlp and u could spend an entire day datamining with no
result. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to press three buttons , but
they insist that thier authorised service centres do it better.
I'm in india , and we're facing the same problems here too especially
since the government killed import duty rates. One thing good about
this place is that i can buy single components cheap as compared to the
MOQ orders and dollar values other people in the world have to put up
with. Though not everything is easily available.
Well thanks to forums like these we can support and help each other out
with schematics and discuss more than just equipment faults here.
tvmirage i sure could use some help with projectors, i get mostly
infocus, sharp, panasonic units here. Have a couple of service manuals
too in pdf format.
Take care !