Andrew McKay

Default New Electrical Regulations

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:43:11 +0100, Andrew McKay
wrote:

I recently posted an article on this forum in respect of the
government introducing new regulations to require electrical work to
be carried out by a registered electrician. From next April it will
become law for electrical work to be undertaken only by said
electricians (a bit like corgi for gas fitters).

I did some further research on this yesterday, and from the NICEIC web
site it would appear that I can apply to become registered with them:

http://www.niceic.org.uk/nonapproved/requirements.html

I then looked into the costs. Basically to become registered with
NICEIC I shall see an extra cost to my business of nearly £2000.
Here's a breakdown of how I came to those costs......

1) I currently have £1M public liability insurance. That will have to
be increased to £2M. I haven't checked the figure but I assume for the
sake of argument that will be at least an additional £100 per year.

2) NICEIC annual enrolment fee = £376.

3) NICEIC first year enrolment = £58.75.

4) NICEIC application fee for address inspection = £411.25.

5) Purchase of Robin KTS1620 16th edition tester = £675.63.

6) Calibration certificate for KTS1620 = £88.12.

7) Training for C&G2391 = £140.

There will undoubtedly be other sundries which I haven't yet taken
into account.

Some of the above costs are one-off (for example the KTS1620 would
only be bought once). Others are recurring. I reckon on having to
spend at least £1000 per year in maintaining my registration with the
NICEIC.

It appears to be a quango.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk