twfsa

Not including the price of the doors here in the Midwest they charge $550.00
to install only.

I found a guy that removed and replaced mine at the slow part of the
building season for $260, had to remove the old doors, vinyl siding hauled
away the old doors installed swinging patio door, I bought a Jel Wen door ,
$800 not impressed with the quality.

Tom

"Robert E. Lewis" wrote in message
I have a friend who is looking at purchasing a circa-1979 townhouse, will
be
having a pro home inspection of the place early next week. The home has a
bunch of aluminum-frame sliding glass patio doors, onto a patio and an
atrium/courtyard, and at least the two we opened didn't work well (the
others were locked, and a key wasn't available -- they'll have a locksmith
come to deal with one lock for which there apparently isn't a key now, at
the inspection).

I'm sure the inspector is going to flag the doors as needing repair, at
least (at least the bottom rollers need replacing, something my friend can
do himself), and I'm curious what sort of cost there would be typically to
have someone come out and do that repair (for negotiating a credit on the
final sale price).

I'm also curious what the labor costs typically would be for replacing a
sliding glass door like this. The townhouse is in Houston, the doors are
ground floor, on a slab, all standard six-foot units, I think, and the
exterior of the house is stucco (don't know if removing/installing the
doors
is likely to tear up some of the surrounding stucco, which would then have
to be repaired).

If my friend decides to replace the doors, are there any substantial
advantages to going for something more than the base aluminum frame
models -- fiberglass, metal- or vinyl-clad wood, etc.? And double
glazing,
in the Houston climate? Most of the doors open onto a private courtyard
where they will get relatively little direct sunlight, but he has a master
bedroom patio door that opens onto a patio on the southwest corner of the
property, where I think it will get lots of afternoon sun; it's also
adjacent to the parking area, so the noise abatement abilities of
insulated
glass might be worth spending a little extra there.

Thanks for any advice.

--

Robert