MrC1

Here's an interesting method I tried just recently - and it worked! I
called this a "nerd project" and owe the idea to my nerdy dad. haha

I was actually trying to locate the valves in my system, since the previous
owner sodded over them. (doh) I realize you're wanting to trace the PVC,
but this method will at least trace out the PVC going to each valve (that
is, if they're not grouped in the same location) because standard procedure
is to bury the wires in the same trench that was dug for the pipes.

1) Disconnect all wires at controller.
2) Take an old extension cord and cut one of the wires (only one!)
3) Splice in the zone you want to trace (if they're chained, one will cover
the whole system) by attaching the extension cord wire, outlet side, to the
color-coded valve wire.
4) Connect the ground wire for that valve circuit to the other extension
cable wire (the one that leads on to the end of the cord).
5) Connect some sort of small, "noisy" appliance to the cord. I used a
dremel tool, but other things should work too. just make sure it's a
low-amperage device. You don't want to pull lots of amperage through this
tiny circuit.
6) Plug in that sucker (but not to a ground-fault circuit as it will
immediately trip).
7) Turn on the appliance to introduce noise into the custom circuit.
8) Hold a portable AM radio near the valve wiring and tune the dial until
the noise is most audible.
9) Run the radio along the ground from the known point where the wires are
buried, tracing their location. (I used some spray paint on the grass.)

Crazy huh? Hey, it works! Just try not to electrocute yourself. Also,
make sure you disconnect all the wires from the controller or you'll burn it
up in the process.

The valve servos normally run on only 24v, but the 110V won't hurt them as
long as you don't try to pull lots of current through them.

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Is there any simple/cheap but effective device for tracing underground
water lines?

I want to check whether our sprinklers are fed from a manifold for each
zone or simply "daisy chained," and I may add another sprinkler.

Perce