Joey Goldstein

No wrote:

To properly solve the problem you will need to add ventilation at ridge and
soffit, build a small attic and insulate.

Thanks for the learned advice. I appreciate it.

But "properly" is a big word and an expensive one. g
What do you think the long-term ramifications are if I do *nothing*?

Will the ice dams get worse over time? Or does it just depend on the way
each winter season unfolds? My first winter here was fine.

I've been told that if I put down some "ice and water shield" that it is
highly unlikely that any water will get into the house in the event of
another ice dam. And installing some roof heating cables can reduce the
magnitude and effects of any more ice dams that occur. (Note: Part of
the ice dam problem is that my neighbor's house is so close to mine that
our eaves actually overlap a bit. This is the side that would get the
heating cables.)
Are these two measures worth doing, or am I just peeing into the wind?

Will the moisture from the condensation in summer create other problems
as the years go by?

--
Joey Goldstein
http://www.joeygoldstein.com