Joseph Meehan

RD wrote:
Thank you all for your input. You were right to suspect a code
violation, as did I. I spoke to the local building inspector who
tells me that the code specifies that the vent be to the outside.
Apparently there's a loophole - an attached garage can be interpreted
as being 'outside' the home. A lazy builder with no integrity like
mine, could lean on this loophole. The inspector tells me that he
does not permit this, but the builder could have done it after he was
gone. My locality in SE Pennsylvania requires:
- No longer than a 25ft. run for the vent pipe. (unless your dryer
has a cfm rating that can handle a longer run)
- Each 90 degree turn in the route counts as 5 feet of the run.
- If you exceed the 25 ft you must install a booster fan.
- Smooth surface metal ducts (not corrugated) must be used.
- No screws can be used in fastening the pipe together. Foil-backed
tape must seal joints in the pipe.

Good code.

I will probably drill through my laundry room floor to run the 4 in
pipe along the floor joists in the basement and then vent out the
nearest wall. This would put my vent less than a foot above ground
level, howver, so I'll need to find a critter cage to put around the
vent.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit