Jack

He said that the compressor was not starting. Now, he was screwing with
something on the unit at the time. He put on the hard-start unit, the
compressor started fine, then told me about the $400.00 part. I said 'I
don't think so', and he took the part off. Seems to be starting fine now
though. I just want to be safe, but there was no way I was paying $400.00
for a $40.00 part.

"Rick" wrote in message
link.net...

"Jack" wrote in message
I have a Goodman Unit clj30. I had a service call from a local

plumbing
/HVACcompany.

The senior HVAC tech told me I needed a hard start capacitor kit to

improve
the 'efficiency'. The local plumbing outfit (GEM plumbing) wanted

to charge
me $400.00 a piece for just the part. I said no, and promptly did a

google
search. Seems they wanted to charge me a 1000% markup.

Questions:

What does a hard start capacitor have to do with efficiency?

Is this a part I can install myself? He did a test with one, and he
installed/removed it pretty quick.

Thanks for your time.

But before you do all that, WHY did he say you needed one? Any
symptoms of hard starting?