Rick

"Jack" wrote in message
news:jvOBe.64225$R21.64196@lakeread06...
I have a Goodman Unit clj30. I had a service call from a local

plumbing
/HVACcompany.

The senior HVAC tech told me I needed a hard start capacitor kit to

improve
the 'efficiency'. The local plumbing outfit (GEM plumbing) wanted

to charge
me $400.00 a piece for just the part. I said no, and promptly did a

google
search. Seems they wanted to charge me a 1000% markup.

Questions:

What does a hard start capacitor have to do with efficiency?

Is this a part I can install myself? He did a test with one, and he
installed/removed it pretty quick.

Thanks for your time.

Yeah, you can install it yourself if you're handy. Just make sure you
lock out all the power to the outdoor unit.
Like the name says, just makes the compressor easier to start...

..