Percival P. Cassidy

I know that each of the 4 zones is separate, but if there is a manifold
for each zone, it is not where the valves a from each valve, one pipe
disappears into the ground, and from that point I do not know whether
each runs to a manifold to which each sprinkler is connected directly,
or whether a single pipe runs to each sprinkler in turn.

The sprinklers in each zone are not all the same (maybe a bad thing),
and in the case where I have dug down, I have found an "end"; i.e., the
pipe does not continue from that sprinkler to another, but I would like
to "map" the system and -- *most important* -- locate whatever manifolds
exist so that I can connect a new line at that point rather than extend
an existing "daisy chain."

The whole thing is complicated by the fact that some sprinklers are fed
by a 1/2" pipe and some by a 3/4" pipe. Moreover, there are automatic
drain valves *somewhere* in the system, so simply noting the sequence in
which sprinklers "fire" does not seem to me to be a reliable way of
figuring out the connections.

Perce

On 07/14/05 06:02 pm Norminn tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Is there any simple/cheap but effective device for tracing underground
water lines?

I want to check whether our sprinklers are fed from a manifold for
each zone or simply "daisy chained," and I may add another sprinkler.

Got a timer? How many zones? How large yard? Pretty simple to trace,
starting at main and going by line of sight to next head. Did I miss
something?