Choreboy

tom wrote:

Choreboy wrote:

Stapling sounds like a fast way to fasten felt to roof planks. Is it
more likely to leak than nailing? (A roofing nail has a head, but
maybe
the felt seals better around the leg of a staple.)
What length staples should be used? Where should they be placed?

Just be careful walking on the stapled felt, especially if the roof has
much pitch to it. It'll tear, and you'll go sliding off. I recommend
inch and a quarter nails through 30# felt for dangerous pitches. Tom

My BIL used shingle nails about that long, so I guess he was right and I
was wrong. What do you think of the tin tabs mentioned above, with the
1" washers?

What's a dangerous pitch? My roof is 6/12. I find it significantly
worse than the
porch's 5/12. In the past I've used a rope when working near the eaves.
I want to use roof jacks for peace of mind and convenience. My BIL is
against it.

To make room for ladders, I've cut back the old azaleas below the eaves.
The pruned stubs are thicker than broomsticks. That gives me a strong
motive to avoid falling.