Phil Munro

Is there a safety code question here? I always thought that an
attached garage required special drywall (5/8") and doors, so that the
garage is air tight from the house. I could envision fumes, CO, from
the garage area migrating into the house backwards through a dryer vent
when a gas appliance in the house (furnace or water heater) is drawing
air for combustion. --Phil

RD wrote:

My builder vented my dryer (gas) into my garage. I suppose this was
within code but this seems like a really bad idea. My garage is always
too hot and humid despite my efforts to open the garage doors and/or
windows while the dryer is running. Also, the lint is the pain in the
___ - making the garage constantly dusty. I'd like to re-rout the vent
outside. Any suggestions on an easy way to do this? The current vent
location is such that I would need to go around a door before directing
the vent to the back of the house. Due to the thickness of dryer vent
pipe, it seems that I wouldn't want to run this within the walls,
right? I guess I would have to run the vent exposed in the garage?

Any help is appreciated.

RD

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555