FDR

wrote in message
oups.com...
" So tell me how it is Republicans in congress were able to control
the
government spending under Clinton and not under Bush?

Interesting question. But, your "opponent" here hasn't got the (balls?
honesty? smarts?) to answer it. "

Spending wasn't controlled by anyone under Clinton.

So you are saying that the Republican congress can't control spending? I
thouhgt they were conservative? I thought they cared about things like
that? Thanks for setting us straight. They are big spenders and then blame
Democrats for not being fiscally cosnervative. What a bunch of hypocrites.

The brief surplus
during the Clinton years was a direct result of a booming economy,
particularly the increase in capital gains flowing from the stock
market boom.

When Clinton got in office he laid forth a plan to balance the budget. I
recall an article that showed where they wanted to be budget wise for the
next several years. I remember talking to a conservative co-worker about it
because he said he was pinning it to his wall and was going to check on it
because he didn't believe it. I said I believed it. And the budget was
balanced after a few years.

The stock market began it's crash from super inflated
levels in spring 2000, while Clinton was still in the white house and
the economy followed suit within a year. Those two events sharply
reduced tax revenue.

So? Aren't Republicans capable of putting their money where their mouth is
and reduce spending then?

Then there was this little thing called 9/11
that perhaps you heard about? What effect did that have on the US
economy?

That was 4 years ago. The economy has recovered quite a bit sonce then.
Why are they still spending like drunken sailors?

And as I recall, we had to spend a hell of a lot of money,
not only on 9/11 directly, but to take the steps to increase our
defense, intelligence and invade Afghanistan. Did you sleep through
all that?

Fine, but what about all the money that's being wasted in the invsion of
Iraq?

And don't start the BS with President Bush's tax cuts. They
were the correct response to an economy that could have gone into
depression, were it not for the tax cuts and the Fed taking interest
rates to just about zero. Even with all that, the recovery was very
slow.

You don't lower taxes during war. Chose war or taxes. But Mr. Bigshot
president thinks he can do both. Guess what? The dollar went south, the
deficit soared and we pay for his foolishness for the next 50 years.