Abe

I need to have new shingles on my roof. There are two layers of three
tab shingles on there now. The roofer indicates that he will remove
one layer and then reshingle. Don't I need both layers removed. The
cost can't be that much more to remove the second layer. I have a
simple 1200 sq ft ranch 40 years old. What are the thoughts?

-------
As everyone else said, bad idea. You need a complete teardown,
replacement of any damaged/delaminated decking, and installation of
30# roofing felt (if shingle mfgr requires felt), and reflashing of
valleys etc. before laying down new shingles. If the roofer balks at
these requirements, find someone else in a hurry, you don't want this
guy touching your house.