Frank Watson

Default How close to my house may I safely plant a Leylandii hedge ?

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 08:32:48 +0100, Tony Williams
wrote:

I'd think twice about a house with a solid evergreen
hedge..... the amount of labour, does it need ladders
to cut, and (most important) how much sunlight does
it block off the garden in winter.

Tony, That's an interesting comment; thanks for it.. Actually, my
hedge is only about 20 ft long, so I doubt if it would deter anyone
from buying the house. (They could easily have the hedge cut down if
they can't hack the prospect of keeping it trimmed).

I'm still hoping someone with experience of the following will offer
some info into how much of a threat the hedge is to my house's
foundations - especially if I cut it down, and the roots rot away.
Does anyone know how far Leylandii roots spread, radially, outwards
from the trunk?

Thanks

Frank