Gary Walker

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
.. .

"Gary Walker" wrote in message
.. .

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
.. .

However, I can crank
up the volume to full, and faintly hear the audio

Sounds like maybe the tape monitor is engaged. Maybe nothing wrong

worth
the
amp. Even if the amp does have a problem, the A-RV401 is a nice model,

worth
repair.

Mark Z.

I understand your comment, but although I have engaged
all the input sources at one time or another, the faint audio
can be detected as from the source intended.

Yes. it has been a great unit. It was suggested earlier that
repair might be worth looking into, which I will. I'd hate
to just throw the whole thing away due to something small.

Thanks,

Gary

Then perhaps a failure of the regulated power supply area. You'd hear
nothing at all if the main amp was blown or if there were a large DC

offset.
Could be one or more open resistors feeding voltage regulator(s) in the
power supply. Fairly common problem on similar model Onkyo receivers,

though
I've only worked on one or two amps like yours, and it's been a while.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.

Well, as I said, I don't really know. I can say that this amp
never runs about 30% volume, I just use it mostly for
headphone listening. If I juice up the volume to 100%, I'll
hear the audio at about the depth I might expect at 1-5%.

"The amplifier's just ain't amplifying". g

I still haven't decided, intending on contact of an amp
repair friend. But, I have found another equivalent
replacement Onkyo for ~$300 at Fry's. It's a TX-8511.

Thanks,

Gary