Franklin Newton

"Q" wrote in message
I need to make a couple of horns ( for audio use ) and have a couple of
questions as I never worked with this stuff before...

The local Home Depot clone ( in scandinavia ) sells the glass fibres,
polyester resin, hardener and gelcoat wich should be everything I need ?

The mold is made from a big chunk of MDF ( Medium Density Fibreboard )

that
I laminated from several smaller sheets, then cut the horn flare contour

in
it on a lathe..

To give you an idea of what I am trying to do I put a picture of an

existing
horn he http://www.naeslund.dk/peter/files/oprydning/hpt42.jpg The

mold
I made fits inside the horn.. Note that the actual horn I am trying to

make
is round, not rectangular like this..

Can anyone give me some idiot proof instructions on where to go from here,
before I waste 100$ worth of fibreglassing ingredients?

If not, heres a few questions:

How do I get the surface thats touching the mold as smooth as possible? (
The mold was turned on a lathe, so it is smooth, but I'd prefer the fancy
shiny surface :-)

How do I keep the fibreglass from sticking to the mold?

Any tips that may come in handy?

I know that this process involves nasty chemicals and nasty dust, so I

will
be doing this outside wearing some sort of dust filtering mask..

Thanks in advance

/peter

1.Mold release to prevent the part sticking to the mold, one brand name is
Freekote, choose one that cures at room temp.
2. The gel coat goes on first, that's what makes the smooth surface.
3.Follow the directions for the resin system you have picked out, i.e. cure
times for the gel coat before bond coats and fabric, shouldn't have any
problems.
4. Do wear protective gear, you can build a reaction to the stuff over time,
so no bare hands.
5. Good luck!