Matisse Matisse is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaProducts.com
It's getting worse. I'm not usre if you're familiar with craigslist but
here in the SF bay area and other regions around the us it's a very
popular free classifieds site. They now have scammers.

I placed a few pieces on there for sale. Within an hour I recieved 3
a money order or cahsiers check and they have their own shipper. It
seemed suspicious so I check around for fraud alerts and there it was.
In fact one of the samples was verbatim to one of the emails I
recieved. The basics are that they send you a cashiers check or money
order that you bank will accept but will later reject once they find
its fake. By that time you have already shipped the product.

In an added twist, they sometimes claim they have a "client" that is
willing to pay more than you are asking. In order to expidite, they
have the client send you the cashiers chek or money order directly and
ask you to send them the difference.
This very thing happened to my wife and me. I got a really wierd vibe from the potential buyer and told him I didn't want to sell the him our brand new $1200.00 Asko washing machine. He literally flipped out on me on the phone. I just thought I crossed paths with a damaged soul but the above quote is identicle to what we experienced on Craigslist. We have sold many things on Craigslist before with no problem, I guess as with everything else in life you just need to really pay attention to that little voice within.

Last edited by Matisse : July 16th 05 at 07:02 AM Reason: typo grammar