Eric

udarrell wrote:

Chris Hill wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:23:43 GMT, "BE" wrote:

Just a question regarding the blower motor on my furnace. I just had the
evaporator AC coil replaced. I mentioned to him that even before it went
bad the home does not seem to stay cool for long. He told me to leave
the fan switch on the thermostat to on so that it blows 24/7

Well needless to say that makes a huge difference as the compressor isn't
needed as much.

My concern is will this shorten the life of the motor? And, is it ok to
leave the fan on 24/7 for 2, 3, 4, 5 days? My thinking is to leave it on
for whatever the duration of the heatwave. Correct?

Sounds like a silly idea. The motor will get its life shortened, and
your electric bill will get its dollar amount raised. Also, all
energy put into that motor to spin it eventually becomes if you've
had physics you've already guessed it heat. Heat that will be going
into your house.

Chris, you and Travis hit the nail on the head; the blower adds heat and
will run your electric bill up!
If you want air circulation use a large 20" floor fan in the areas you
will be in; it uses a lot less electricity and produces very little heat.
If increasing the air circulation with a floor type fan allows you to
set the Rm TH to a higher temp - that will save on energy costs and
compressor run time.
Running the furnace blower motor 24/7 will add to much to energy
consumption and add motor heat to the conditioned space. (Losing
equation.)
- udarrell

The heat added by the blower motor is insignificant. It wont add even a .01
degree to the house temp. On the other hand, running the furnace blower has
apparently lowered his house temp and made it more comfortable. You can live
like a refugee and think you're saving money (when you're not) or spend an
additional $2.00 per month and be comfortable - your choice. Hell, who
doesn't **** away $2.00 a month? Come on, get real - save money where it
makes a difference, not where it makes you miserable.
Eric