Bob Mannix

Default Some good news and some bad news

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"geoff" wrote in message

snip

It's too easy for anyone to call another a brainless lemming. It could be
said that the ones who propound their (not very eloquent) opinions on this
ng are brainless lemmings - I'm not saying it. I don't say that of anyone.

do know that I respect the opinion of those who know more about a subject
than I do and I haven't seen much of that round here when it comes to art.

You might be surprised to see the art which decorates my walls and

ceilings
and garden ...

Ah but the act of calling supporters of such art "brainless lemmings" is all
part of the overall artistic process. The Fauvist movement at the beginning
of the 20th Century got its name because they were called wild beasts by
people who didn't like their art.

Just as those who like Damien Hirst's work are fully entitled to praise and
buy it (and enjoy it) others have the right to pour (artistic) scorn on them
for doing so. The discussion of art by "those who don't know much about art"
as you put it is essential in a civilized society (or even a ng). There can
be no "right" or "wrong" in such a subjective area, only discussion about
right and wrong.

The issue of art as an investment is relatively modern and, some may say,
injurious to art but the buying and selling of art occurs between consenting
adults and it's their money.

Bob Mannix