w_tom

Learn by building a protector. Notice what the competition
is doing. First, parts cost on the order of $0.10. So how
many joules did they install? Why so little cost of parts and
yet so such a high price for the protector? Second, minimally
sized 'whole house' protectors cost under $50 for over 1000
joules. You may save money by purchasing a 'whole house'
protector only to remove its MOVs.

Consider safety - UL1449 2nd edition. One trick is to put
inductors in series with the MOVs. Therefore pulse rise time
is not as sharp; MOV less likely to vaporize; more likely to
pass the UL1449 test. (Others assume that the inductor
provides additional electronics protection.) Build it. Its a
great way to learn how protection works. You will not save
money. You will learn.

The 15 amp circuit breaker is required for human safety when
a single plug connects to multiple outlets. If a power strip
(with or without protectors) does not have that 15 amp
breaker, then the strip should be disposed as a human safety
threat.

Rob Mills wrote:
Been snooping around and notice that the cheap (office depot and etc)
plastic strip (5 recep) surge protectors have only one MOV but the
more expensive ones have one MOV at each receptacle. Looks to me as
if you could use metal recep boxes that would hold two or three
receps and place a MOV across each recep, put a metal cover on it
and a short 3 wire 12 gauge cord and have a much better surge
protector to protect sensitive equipment for not much more than the
computer/office stores want for the plastic cased ones.
I have found MOV's rated at 150 volts and 80 Joules at this web site
for $3.81 each,
http://www.electronicplus.com/conten...=TR&subcat=TS1

Any Thoughts?? RM ~

PS, Think I would put a 15 amp push button circuit breaker on the box