w_tom

You are assuming the MOV is the protection. How? What will
that MOV do? Absorb the surge? Block it? Since that MOV is
so far from earth ground, AND because it is so close to
transistors, then it provides the same ineffective protection
provided by power strips.

Furthermore, if those $0.10 parts were so effective, then
they are already inside the appliance. Anything that is
effective on an appliance power cord is already inside the
electronics.

How do effectively protected sites do it? Let's take a
telephone Central Office computer - connected to overhead
wires everywhere in town. They put the connector directly on
earth ground AND up to 50 meters distant from the computer.

No earth ground means no effective protection. Those MOVs
inside a plug-in box or inside the wall receptacle are not
effective.

Don't get mesmerized thinking the MOVs are protection.
Protection can be installed with a copper wire or it can be
installed with an MOV. The MOV only acts like a wire during a
limited time - during the transient. But if wire or MOV does
not make that 'less than 10 foot' connection to earth, then no
effective protection. Protection is the earth ground. MOVs
is only to connect a surge to earth ground. No earth ground?
Then no effective protection no matter how many joules are
installed.

Rob Mills wrote:
I guess in theory it should work but after seeing one office depot
strip surge protector burn a spot in my carpet I don't think I
would want one inside my wall. My whole idea was to more or less
build a better mouse trap for the money. One that was huskier and
retained the heat better than the plastic cased ones sold at
office and computer supply stores. I also needed more receps than
a single wall recep as I have a several (none that draw a lot o
power) sensitive radios, two computers and a printer. RM~