Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
Buy a copy. All their test results are summarised at the back and
explanations of how they're arrived at.

I'm not buying it, pity they didn't see fit to reproduce it one their
website.

Why should they give this sort of thing for free? They're not a charity.

Do you really believe Autocar alone? I used to get 42mpg combined
from a hatchback so claiming a Prius does 23 is absolutely laughable.

No - this figure of 23 mpg was for the duration of the Autocar test.

Any other tests that have returned 23mpg or thereabouts?

I dunno. But if it was a one off caused by a faulty example, Toyota would
have been up in arms, and demanded a re-test. They didn't comment.

See this real life test, quotes 58mpg over the first 1000 miles:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=135

Have you actually read the article?

Yes...

He was trying as hard as possible to get the very best MPG.

Why not quote the article than interpret it, I didn't read what you just
said.

Can't be bothered. He made mention of special driving techniques to keep
it on batteries, etc. And being gentle with any car improves the fuel
economy.

And under those conditions many would manage more with a small diesel.

What diesel gives the same official combined fuel economy? Also bear in
mind diesel is more expensive than petrol.

You've not been paying attention. ;-) The official figures are too easily
manipulated as they don't also take into account power output etc. So you
could restrict this to achieve better economy. But if you then did the
same with a vehicle sent to a magazine for test, they'd comment on the
poor acceleration, etc.

Read the subsequent parts about motorway consumption.

It's a town/city car for economical driving in stop start traffic and
low emissions, not a touring car.

Very few people indeed can afford that sort of money for a town only car.
Is it advertised as such? And do they state the economy is poor when
touring? Not that I've seen.

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW