Martin Angove

In message ,
"Adrian Berry" wrote:

I noticed the NTL bloke using some kind of plastic plug that you
hammered the cable clip into. Looked like he was drilling a 3mm or so
hole. Haven't seem them around but no doubt electricians would be
familiar with them.

Saw them years ago, I believe they were labelled 'pin plugs'. White,
about 1" long by 1/8" diameter. At a pinch you could probably get the
same effect by drilling and then plugging with thin dowel, preferably
hardwood.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
*no* account be allowed to do the job."

Tower make them - "Pin Plugs", white plastic, require 5mm hole smallest
SDS drill size available! :-)

Electrical wholesalers rarely stock them for some reason - I bought my last
box from a B&Q Warehouse, shelved by the cable clips.

Wonderful things, I use them all the time. At a pinch though a standard
rawlplug hammered into a slightly undersized hole seems to work most of
the time.

For example, I use #8 screws into red rawlplugs almost exclusively. In a
"hard" wall (stone for e.g.) I'd normally use a 6mm drill to make the
hole for the plug. In a softer wall (plaster over block perhaps) I might
use 5.5mm. If I've run out of pin plugs and need to use cable clips then
I would downsize these to 5.5mm and 5mm, and use the good ol' insert
town of choice screwdriver to encourage them in, shaving off the top if
I've misjudged and it won't go in all the way.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... (Ice rocks hit the hull) Captain, we are being hailed.