Chip

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:02:45 GMT,it is alleged that Stuart Noble
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Frank Erskine wrote:
On 15 Jul 2005 05:19:22 -0700, "Fash"
wrote:

Most of the walls in my house are rubble stone and lime mortar.
Unsurprisingly the lime mortar is too soft to hold a caple clip.
Unfortunately the stone is far too hard, the nail doesn't even scratch
the surface before bending over.

The only solution I can see at the moment is to put all the wire in
conduit which is screwed to the wall (they are drillable) and then
plaster over the conduit.

Anybody got any other cheaper/easier/quicker ideas?

You could replace the nails in the clips with very fine long screws,
and plug the walls.

Or even glue the cable to the stone.

I noticed the NTL bloke using some kind of plastic plug that you
hammered the cable clip into. Looked like he was drilling a 3mm or so
hole. Haven't seem them around but no doubt electricians would be
familiar with them.

Saw them years ago, I believe they were labelled 'pin plugs'. White,
about 1" long by 1/8" diameter. At a pinch you could probably get the
same effect by drilling and then plugging with thin dowel, preferably
hardwood.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
*no* account be allowed to do the job."